Adventure Peaks Lake District Guided Walk of Blencathra is a real classic. The ascent, up Sharp Edge, is an adventure you will never forget. The famous old mountain, known until recently as Saddleback, is one of the best known in the Lake District and is a true mountaineers’ mountain. Standing high over the road that links Penrith and Keswick, Blencathra is a mountain that compels attention from all.
Our Adventure Peaks Guided Walk begins at the trail head behind Scales Farm. Quickly we work our way up Scales Fell until we reach Scales Tarn, one of the most characteristic mountain tarns in the Lake District. From here we carefully ascend the famous Sharp Edge to Atkinson Pike and across the Saddle to the summit. The views to the North and West are simply brilliant as we walk along the ridge and make our way down from Knowe Crag.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 868m / 2,848ft
- Distance: 11.2km / 6.95 Miles
- Time: 5.5 Hours
- Grade: Hard/Exposure*
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to one month before.
Adventure Peaks Classic Lake District Guided Walks are aimed at regular walkers with little previous experience who would like to explore the Lake District fells. The Lake District Guided Walks can range from easy, moderate and hard. They can be rigorous and demanding, filled with excitement, new experience, or rekindle old memories. Adventure Peaks Lake District Guided Walks can ultimately give you that sense of being in another world. A world that only the mountains, rivers and forests of the Lake District can give you.
Where to Meet
8.00am @ Adventure Peaks, 101 Lake Road, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 0DB. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a full packed lunch.
The day will finish between 2.30-3.00pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (9am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 6-7 hours per day with around 900m (2,952ft) of ascent.
“Blencathra is one of the grandest objects in Lakeland. And one of the best known.”
“Sharp Edge is a rising crest of naked rock of sensational and spectacular appearance, a breaking wave carved in stone. The sight of it at close quarters is sufficient to make a beholder about to tackle it forget all other worries, even a raging toothache.”
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
Photography: Greenburn publishing
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 04/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 18/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 02/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 16/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 30/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 13/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 27/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 11/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 25/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 08/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 22/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 05/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Blencathra and Sharp Edge - 19/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm