The Coledale Horseshoe is a high level route with a stunning array of summits, passes and views. It is one of the best horseshoe walks in the northwest Lake District – if not the best.
Most of the hard work on this Adventure Peaks Guided Walk is spent on the first 3km. Once the hike up to Grisedale Pike from Braithwaite is complete, the rest is glorious. From the first Wainwright of the day a good path leads along Hobcarton Crag to Hopegill Head and the view of the coastline, on a clear day, is unrivalled. After walking along Coledale Hause we reach the high point of the day, Eel Crag, at the head of the horseshoe. The crossing over Sail to Scar Crags is a real treat before we reach Causey Pike and the exciting descent back to Braithwaite.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 839m / 2,752ft 17km
- Distance: 10.5 Miles
- Time: 5.5 Hours
- Grade: Moderate/Hard
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to the date of the walk.
Grisedale Pike, 791m – Hopegill Head, 770m – Eel Crag, 839m – Sail, 773m – Scar Crags, 672m – Causey Pike, 637m
Where to Meet
The group will meet at 9am at the old quarry on the left hand side of Whinlatter Pass road (the B5292) north of Braithwaite. Parking limited. Aim to arrive early to get a space. Grid Ref: NY 227 237. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a full packed lunch.
Please note that no transport is included as part of the walk. For those without their own transportation it may be possible to share transport with the guide or other members of the walk. In this case we do ask that a contribution is made to the fuel costs of the driver.
The day will finish between 2.30-3.00pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (9am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 5-6 hours per day with around 1,115m (3660ft) of ascent.
“The shadowed north-east face of the fell, towering high above the head of Coledale, is a fine sight. Even steeper, but less familiar, is the craggy southern slope, seamed with gullies, overlooking Sail Beck; this is a no-man’s land.”
“The crag is a haven of quiet solitude, within sight but out of reach of a popular walking route. In summer sunlight there is a pleasant colour, the bilbery – greenest of greens – making a luxuriant velvety patchwork among the grey and silvery rocks.”
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
Photography: Greenburn publishing
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 23/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 07/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 21/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 04/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 18/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 02/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 16/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 30/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 13/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 27/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 10/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- The Coledale Horseshoe - 24/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm