The Adventure Peaks Guided Walk of the Kentmere Horseshoe is a massive day out, consisting of no less than 9 Wainwright summits, an ancient Roman Road, craggy cliffs, picture perfect tarns and spectacular views as far as the eye can see. It is by far the best and most demanding of all of Adventure Peaks Guided Walks in the Far Eastern Fells.
This Lake District Guided Walk begins early from Kentmere. We climb steadily up past Badger Rock to the Garburn Pass and onwards to Yoke. From here we follow the high ridge to Ill Bell and Froswick before reaching Thornthwaite Crag. At the top of the horseshoe is High Street, 828m, our highest peak of the day. From here you can imagine the soldiers marching centuries ago on this ancient Roman Road. Below Mardel Ill Bell sit the two finest tarns in the Lake District; Small Water and Blea Water. We return to Kentmere via Kentmere Pike and Shipman Knotts.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 828m / 2,716ft
- Distance: 17km / 12 Miles
- Time: 5.5 Hours
- Grade: Moderate/Hard
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to the date of the walk.
Yoke, 706m – Ill Bell, 757 – Thornthwaite Crag, 784 – High Street, 828m – Mardale Ill Bell, 761m – Harter Fell, 778m – Kentmere Pike, 730m – Shipman Knotts, 587m
Total ascent / descent
Where to Meet
The group will meet at 9am in the layby at the top of the Nook in Kentmere. Parking is very limited. Aim to arrive early to get a space. Grid Ref: NY 237 041. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a full packed lunch.
Please note that no transport is included as part of the walk. For those without their own transportation it may be possible to share transport with the guide or other members of the walk. In this case we do ask that a contribution is made to the fuel costs of the driver.
The day will finish between 2.30-3.00pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (9am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 7-8 hours per day with around 1,000m (3300ft) of ascent.
“Most of the high places in Lakeland have no mention in the history books, and, until comparatively recent times, when enlightened men were inspired to climb upon them for pleasure and exercise, it was fashonable to regard them as objects of awe and terror, and their summit were rarely visited.”
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
Photography: Greenburn publishing
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 24/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 08/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 22/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 05/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 19/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 03/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 17/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 31/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 14/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 28/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 11/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Kentmere Horseshoe - 25/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm