Loughrigg Fell is one of Adventure Peaks’ shorter Lake District Guided Walks and its proximity to the shop makes it an ideal spot for an afternoon ramble. Although Loughrigg is lower than most of our other walks, it boasts spectacular views, scenic lakes and tarns, craggy outcrops and huge caves. It is a place that has captured the heart of many a famous poet and author, from Wordsworth, Thomas De Quincy and Wainwright.
We begin the Guided Walk from the Adventure Peaks shop and walk through Rothay Park, crossing the River Rothay and follow the small road to Pelter Bridge. We come through the forest to Rydal Water and explore the amazing Rydal Cave. From there we climb up Loughrigg Terrace to the top of the fell, and as the views open up, we cross to Ivy Crag and then Lilly Tarn.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 335m / 1,099ft
- Distance: 9.78km / 6 Miles
- Time: 4 Hours
- Grade: Easy
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to the date of the walk.
“Loughrigg has yet another attraction in the form of a tremendous cave, big enough to contain the entire population of Ambleside, which although manmade and now disused, is still a remarkable place.”
“In brief, this fell has a wealth of interests and delight, and for many people who now find pleasue in walking over the greater mountians it serves as an introduction and an inspiration.”
Total ascent / descent
Where to Meet
10.00am @ Adventure Peaks, 101 Lake Road, Ambleside, LA22 0DB. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a drink and some food.
The day will finish between 1.30-2.00pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (10am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 4 hours per day with around 300m (900ft) of ascent.
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- Loughrigg Fell - 17/07/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 25/07/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 04/08/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 10/08/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 14/08/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 26/08/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 05/09/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 11/09/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 27/09/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 13/10/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Loughrigg Fell - 29/10/2021 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm