Wansfell Pike is one of Adventure Peaks’ shorter Lake District Guided Walks and its proximity to the shop makes it an ideal spot for an afternoon ramble. Although Wansfell is lower than most of our other walks, it boasts spectacular views over Windermere and the Troutbeck valley. It is slightly higher than its neighbour; Loughrigg, and is home to Stock Ghyll Force, the beautifully impressive river and waterfalls that run through Ambleside.
We begin the Guided Walk from the Adventure Peaks shop and walk up Stock Ghyll, taking in the stunning waterfalls along the way. As we cross the river and come through the forest we make our way up to Wansfell Pike. The view over Windermere is breathtaking. On our return to Ambleside we cross more waterfalls, disused quarries and the graceful Skelgill Wood and Stencher Beck.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 482m / 1,581ft
- Distance: 8.8km / 5.46 Miles
- Time: 4 Hours
- Grade: Easy
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to the date of the walk.
Where to Meet
10.00am @ Adventure Peaks, 101 Lake Road, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 0DB. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a drink and some food.
The day will finish between 1.30-2pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (10am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 4 hours per day with around 300m (900ft) of ascent.
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
Photography: Greenburn publishing
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- Wansfell Pike - 10/07/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 19/07/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 24/07/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 02/08/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 07/08/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 16/08/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 21/08/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 30/08/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 04/09/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 13/09/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 18/09/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Wansfell Pike - 27/09/2020 - 10:00 am - 2:30 pm