Navigation level 1
Min Age 8+
Cost Full Day: 1 person = £150, 2= £80pp, 3=£60pp, 4=£50pp
Our Beginners Navigation course is designed for those who have little or no experience of navigating in the great outdoors. It is ideal for those who want a little more confidence to be able to follow footpaths and other features to get around walks in upland or lowland areas. The course is practical and outdoors based in order to learn and practice skills in the environment they are designed to be used in.
Over the course of the day some of the skills we will aim to cover could include:
• Looking at common types of maps and scales
• Learn map symbols and how they aid navigation
• Using 6 figure grid references to be able to provide someone with a location and to find a location using a grid reference.
• Orientate the map using physical features on the ground and whilst using a compass
• Use contour lines to identify physical features such as hills and valleys
• Use features to confirm your location along a route and identify Stop features to ensure you don’t overshoot an important location.
• confirm direction of travel only using an orientated map
• Measure distance on the map
• Use distance to create timings for a route and how these can be useful to aid navigation
• Simple skills to plan routes at home before heading into the hills