This is a chance to explore Adventure Peaks Lake District Guided Walk of Helvellyn & Striding Edge. This mythical mountain, standing at 950m, is one of the great mountains of the Lake District. Helvellyn offers walkers the chance to step back in time to rocky terrain and narrow glaciated edges. It is one of England’s four 3000 ft summits and is home of the best ridge walk in Britain – Striding Edge. Referenced by the poet William Wordsworth in his work ‘Fidelity’, the flat summit plateau is a great place to take in the stunning views in every direction.
We begin our walk in Glenridding and make our way up to Birkhouse Moor. From here we head to Striding Edge and walk Helvellyn’s awesome ridge to the Summit. We cross the plateau to Nethermost Pike and then descend down Swirral Edge. From here we summit Catstye Cam before returning to Glenridding.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 950m / 3,116ft
- Distance: 15km / 9.32 Miles
- Time: 5-6 Hours
- Grade: Hard/Exposure
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to one month before.
“There is some quality about Helvellyn which endears it in the memory of most people who have stood on its breezy top.”
Helvellyn, 950m – Nethermost Pike, 891m – Catstye Cam, 890m
Where to Meet
8.00am @ Adventure Peaks, 101 Lake Road, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 0DB. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a full packed lunch.
Alternatively you can meet your guide at 9am at the Glenridding Pay and Display car park by the visitors centre, in Glenridding village, at the southern end of Ullswater. Grid Ref: NY 385 169.
The day will finish at 2.30-3.00pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (9am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 6-7 hours per day with around 917m (3,010ft) of ascent.
“It was a cove, a huge recess, That keeps, till June, December’s snow; A lofty precipice in front, A silent tarn below! Far in the bosom of Helvellyn, Remote from public road or dwelling, Pathway, or cultivated land; From trace of human foot or hand..”
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 28/07/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 11/08/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 16/08/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 25/08/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 29/08/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 08/09/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 13/09/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Helvellyn and Striding Edge Guided Walk - 22/09/2018 - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm