There are so many delights on this Lake District Guided Walk of the Langdale Pikes, that it is hard to describe it all in such a small space. Great Langdale does such a fantastic job of summarising the Lake District; great tarns, huge crags, great peaks, stuuning views, waterfalls and becks, that there really is no better place to visit. It is a fantastic day out for anyone wanting a truely wild time.
Our guided walk of the Langdale Pikes begins at the foot of Stickle Ghyll, a beautiful body of water, flowing into Great Langdale Beck. The waterfalls and pools are hypnotising. Slowly we make our way to Stickle Tarn and the huge rock wall of Pavey Ark. Harrison Stickle and Pike of Stickle are next, standing high above the valley floor. A wild walk across Martcrag Moor take us to Rossett Pike and Angle Tarn before returning along the Cumbrian Way.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 736m / 2,414ft
- Distance: 11km / 6.83 Miles
- Time: 7-8 Hours
- Grade: Hard/Moderate
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to the date of the walk.
Thunacar Knott, 723m – Harrison Stickle 736m, 762m, Pike of Stickle, 709m – Rossett Pike, 606m
Where to Meet
The group will meet at 9am at The National Trust car park at the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. Grid Ref: NY 295 065. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a full packed lunch.
Please note that no transport is included as part of the walk. For those without their own transportation it may be possible to share transport with the guide or other members of the walk. In this case we do ask that a contribution is made to the fuel costs of the driver.
The day will finish between 2.30-3pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (9am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 6-7 hours per day with around 1,066m (3500ft) of ascent.
“No moutain profile in Lakeland arrests and excites the attention more than that of the Langdale Pikes and no mountain group better illustrates the dramatic appeal of a sudden rising of the vertical from the horizontal; the full height from valley to summit is revealed at a glance in one abrupt upsurge to all travellers on the distant shore of Windermere and,m more intimately, on the beautiful approach along Great Langdale.”
“Pavey Ark is Langdale’s biggest cliff. In an area where crag and precipices abound, here is the giant of them all, and, scenically, it is the best.”
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
Photography: Greenburn publishing
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- The Langdale Pikes - 30/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 05/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 14/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 28/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 02/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 11/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 25/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 30/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 09/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 23/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 28/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 06/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 20/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 25/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 03/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 17/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Langdale Pikes - 22/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 2:30 pm