The Lake District Guided Walk of the Coniston Old Man and Dow Crag is one of the best days out in the Southern Lake District. This is one of Adventure Peaks’ shorter walks, that sets out from the impressive Walna Scar road, but don’t be tricked by its length, this is a hard route with a lot of stunning high level walking.
We begin by following the Walna Scar up to Brown Pike where the views quickly open up. The ridge then takes us to the impressive summit of Dow Crag, its huge wall, popular with climbers, drops spectacularly to the beautiful Goat’s Water below. We then cross Goat’s Hawse and summit the Old Man. The views of the Lake District coastline and surrounding vistas are breathtaking. We complete our walk past Low Water Beck and through the hugely impressive slate spoils and old mining ruins.
Guided Walk Overview
- Height: 803m / 2,634ft
- Distance: 9.48km / 5.9 Miles
- Time: 5 Hours
- Grade: Hard
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket and trousers
- Warm tops
- Spare clothing
- Hat & Gloves
- Suitable clothing for walking (no jeans)
- Packed lunch
- Water bottle/Thermos Flask
- Torch and whistle
A 15% discount is available on all equipment and clothing from the Adventure Peaks store. This is valid from the time of booking to one month before.
Brown Pike, 682m – Dow Crag, 651m – Coniston Old Man, 803m
Total ascent / descent
Where to Meet
8.00am @ Adventure Peaks, 101 Lake Road, Ambleside, Cumbria LA22 0DB. You should have your rucksack packed ready to depart including a full packed lunch.
Alternatively you can meet your guide at 9am at the free parking area on the Walna Scar Road, high above Coniston. Park on the ground where the tarmac ends. Grid Ref: SD 288 970.
The day will finish at 2.00-2.30pm.
If you are not there within 20 minutes of the departure time (9am) the group will begin their walk.
You should have a good level of fitness and be comfortable walking for 5-6 hours per day with around 740m (2,425ft) of ascent.
“The highest (by a few feet) and best-known of the Coniston fells is the Old Man,a benevolent giant revered by generations of walkers and of particular esteem in the eyes of inhabitants of the village he shelters, for he has contributed much to their prosperity.”
“Although cruelly scared and mutilated by quarries the Old Man has retained a dignified bearing, and still raises his proud and venerable head to the sky. His tears are shed quietly, into Lows Water and Goats Water, two splendid tarns, whence, in due course, and after further service to the community in the matter of supplies of electricty and water, they ultimately find their way into Coniston’s lake, and there bathe his anciaent feet.”
Books & Maps
Ordnance Survey OL 5 covers The Southern area of the Lake District and OL7 covers the Northern area at a scale of 1:25,000. The BMC produce a Lake District map at a scale of 1:40,000, which are waterproof and tear resistant, specially designed for walkers and climbers.
Photography: Greenburn publishing
The Minimum Age for our walks is 8 years of age, but this depends on a child’s experience and ability. Under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult unless previously agreed with Adventure Peaks, and as we are AALA registered, written permission must be provided by a parent/guardian, for each participant under 18.
- The Old Man of Coniston - 08/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 20/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 22/04/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 06/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 18/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 20/05/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 03/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 15/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 17/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 01/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 13/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 15/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 29/07/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 10/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 12/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 26/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 07/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 09/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- The Old Man of Coniston - 23/09/2019 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm